Our voting recommendations are based on a survey of almost six hundred candidates across the state.
The survey asked:
- Do you, as a matter of principle support the right of Queenslanders to have the choice of seeking access to a system of voluntary assisted dying under appropriate protections and safeguards, if they have a terminal illness or neurological condition causing them intolerable suffering?
- Would you, as an MP in the Queensland Parliament ensure your vote on a VAD Bill reflects the wishes of your constituents?
Based on the answers to these questions, Dying with Dignity Queensland has developed how to vote cards for each electorate.
- Candidates with a tick next to their name have committed to support Voluntary Assisted Dying if they are elected.
- Candidates with a cross next to their name have confirmed they would not support Voluntary Assisted Dying if they are elected.
- Candidates who did not respond have a question mark next to their name, as we cannot be certain of their view.
- Some candidates responded with a template letter provided by their party. These letters do not assure commitment for or against VAD. These candidates have also been identified by a question mark.