As you may know, Voluntary Assisted Dying became legal in Qld on the 16th of September 2021.
So after a 26 year-long campaign, that started in 1996, we are reassessing what is needed now.
VAD will be implemented by 1 January 2023, after which time, Queenslanders who have a terminal illness can apply to access the scheme.
Sadly, during this implementation time, Queenslanders wanting to use VAD to end their life will not be able to do so.
During this implementation time, Queensland Health will develop:
- a Voluntary Assisted Dying Review Board which will review the scheme in three years from the date of proclamation.
- a Statewide Care Navigator Service to provide information and support to people seeking access to voluntary assisted dying, their families and friends, and health practitioners.
- a Statewide Pharmacy Service to dispense the medication
- and training resources and clinical guidelines for all health professionals who are willing to be involved.
During the implementation period, DWDQ will work to ensure that all Queenslanders are aware that VAD is legal in our state and that people who live in rural and remote areas are able to access it.
We will need your help to do this.
There will be more information about what you can do to help in the next email from us.
The Clem Jones Group that helped us more than most will ever know will not be able to continue working as closely with us as they have done. This means that the wonderful My Life, My Choice newsletters that we have sent to you for the last 3 or 4 years will not continue. These newsletters will be replaced with emails and videos such as this one. They will be a little more frequent than the newsletters were, but they will be quick to read.
The DWDQ AGM was held electronically on the 22nd of November last year.
The new committee is comprised of 8 people, 6 of whom were on the previous committee and 2 new committee members:
- I will continue as President
- Jeanette Wiley is now Vice President
- Anyse Horman continues as Treasurer
- Phyllis Wagner continues at Secretary
- Dr Heather McNamee, Dr Sid Finnigan, Jen Blake and Sheila Sim are general committee members
Stay safe everyone. If you would like more information, please feel free to get back to us by replying to this email
Dying with Dignity Queensland